Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day dreamin'

In Thursday's class, professor Sexson gave us the requirement of having a dream over the weekend. Due to my undying loyalty to LIT 285 (as well as some significant sleep deprivation) I obliged to this requirement on Friday afternoon. It was roughly 1 or 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and I decided to take a quick 20 minute power nap in between classes. At the end of said nap is when my dream occurred, albeit short in duration. In the dream I was walking my dog through the neighborhoods of Bozeman, and from behind a hedge a lion leaped out and attacked my dog and I. I awoke right as the mouth of the lion was about to close upon my face. To think that a lion would be prowling right here in town! After regaining consciousness for a few minutes I realized the obvious link between my dream and our discussion of how the incredibly mythological Oz can be found right here in Bozeman. While I don't foresee experiencing an actual lion attack while walking my dog, I do think that this dream is symbolic of how prevalent mythology can be, we simply need to open our eyes in order to see it.

For various reasons it may appear as though we need to dig deep in order to search for mythology in the world around us, but in reality it can be found in our everyday lives. Sometimes it will even jump right on top of you, so keep your eyes peeled.

1 comment:

  1. Wow atleast you dreamt between then and now

    ReplyDelete